Thursday, March 25, 2010

miniature garden

I'd like to have a green thumb but the truth is I don't. But when we were at the garden center the other day to get plants to dress up our front porch, Alfredo and I fell in love with the enchanting miniature gardens they had. What I didn't love was the price...all the way up to $500!

I've been thinking of them and wondering if we couldn't make one ourselves. So yesterday we went back to the garden center and bought some plants they suggested for miniature gardens and made one ourselves. We're still working on the fun part...decorating! We definitely need a garden gnome, don't you think?

At the garden center they said that just about any small ground covering, like this scotch moss, can work for the grass part. The light green plant is another ground covering called "Golden Creeping Speedwell". The flowering plant is called "charm". And you can't see it but in the back there's a tiny fern like plant called "Green Brass Buttons". The little shrub is a miniature cedar called Tenzan. It won'g grow more than 1/2 inch per year at most.

The garden center we went to is rather expensive. Each of these little plants were $5 and the miniature cedar was $12 so we spent about $50 on the plants. Still I really love it and I'm hoping my thumb will be green enough to keep it alive.

17 comments:

Anne said...

What a sweet little scene! I give a thumbs up to the gnome idea.

Connie said...

Love this little garden! At Target in the garden section, I saw some small gnomes and red polka dot mushrooms. They were very sweet! Happy spring day!

Martha said...

How adorable. Love it. I can just see sitting in that chair to enjoy the scenery.

Merci-Notes said...

I love your petit garden... what a team you two make :)

My garden center has had these also AND you might like to try this one ~
A beach scene!!! SAND, petit easy grasses a mini beach pail etc.... Oh, how about using one of those old tiny fences you see at the craft stores ... :)

Thank you Amy for the fun!!!

With Kindness,
Mary

J. Paige said...

Oh, I've been wanting to make one of those!! Thanks for listing the names of the plants! You might try sculpey to make a little gnome or a fairy. Maybe Alfredo could make a little turtle...
how fun you are the best mom ever!

Piper said...

perfect! there are some cute gnomes at target, but I'm not sure if they're small enough... but, I know you'll find the perfect one somewhere!

Shelley in SC said...

Absolutely precious! Maybe even my very brown thumb could attempt this!

Tra La La Boom De Ay said...

Is this the one that you made or a snap shot from the garden center? I love the idea! We are very dry here during the summer so no moss plant would survive but I could do creeping thymes and such. Great post.

Jill said...

I love your little garden! So sweet! I've been collecting little things to create a garden. I'm so glad you included the names of the plants-- that will be so helpful as I start to put it together. What a fun project for you and Alfredo!
Hugs,
Jill

Shelley Noble said...

Oh so crazy great! LOVE THIS!

Sid Raisch said...

This is a great project to enjoy together all summer or all year long - and for less than the price of a nice meal and a couple of glasses of wine.

j* said...

This is so lovely. I have never attempted to make one myself, too intimidated. But yours is wonderful and reminded me of another one I know (she listed all plants as well). Hope you like it : )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dosfalg/2370049132/

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty said...

Love the mini garden! My mum used to make mini gardens when I was little.
Mercedes

Carey said...

I think this is so cool.
Carey

Janit Calvo said...

What a cute little garden!

That $500 mini garden you saw at the nursery is because the nursery charges the artists up to 50% of the sale of the mini garden. So the poor artist has to get something out of it, plus her costs, and in doing so has to charge way too much!

I had the exact same problem trying to sell my completed gardens here in Seattle - which is why I now sell the parts and pieces online for all to enjoy.

Thanks for sharing this!
Janit Calvo

Johwey Redington said...

This is lovely. I've been wanting to make a 'fairy place' for my girls but this will work as well. I might just try making one! :D

Alia parker said...

There are many benefits to having a plant nursery, including having a place to grow and care for plants, providing a space for research and experimentation, and having a source of income. Plant nurseries can also be a great place to learn about plants and gardening.