Thursday, August 11, 2011

summer patchwork

I'm inspired by Pam to make a summery patchwork, like the one she shared in Inspired Ideas Summer issue...


But I didn't have a bunch of pretty vintage linens...until now!


Ironsea sells fat quarters of vintage linens! Isn't that perfect? Especially for me, since I get a little paralyzed about cutting old fabric. 


I bought a whole bunch and can't wait to cut them into little squares and sew them together, in neat (hopefully) rows. Look at this pretty piece! Jeni sells bundles of the hems of sheets...many of which are edged prettily with lace. 

Wish me luck...I'm not so great at sewing. 

To see how you too can make a wonderful summer patchwork, click here to subscribe to the Summer issue


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually finished a vintage sheets patchwork quilt last month - my first! I love it...it is so soft and light for summer. I only backed it with a white cotton fabric to keep it light and the binding is also long scraps of the sheets. I have the same cringe-y feeling about the vintage but sheets are a little different - I have so many now & can only use so many for linens.
The fun part is when I make a little snip and then have my kiddo take one end while I hold the other and "rrrrip"...ripping will give a better measurement than cutting since it goes with the grain (learned this from a quilt class).
Go to the blog "All things vintage sheets" and she explains it better.
Also, lots of other great ideas for the sheets.

Anonymous said...

ha, ha, I meant cringe-y feeling about cutting vintage fabrics, not cringe-y in general...I do wash them in very hot soapy water first.