Wednesday, August 3, 2011

be my friend...

Yesterday afternoon, as I waited for the air conditioning repairman to arrive, I worked quietly on the sweet project Kristen contributed to the Summer issue (you've got to get it!)



I made 6 of her friendship bracelets so far and I'm itching to make more. They are so much fun to make! I'm thinking of making a whole bunch and giving them to friends when I see them. 

I made the first 3 with leather cording, as Kristen directed, and seam binding...




Aren't they fun?
These are totally my "I'm learning how to do it" 3. 

And then I ran out of leather. 

I searched my stuff for something that could be substituted...after trying a few things that didn't work (like twine)...I came upon a package of lovely pink corset binding. Who knows how long I've had it, afraid to use it, or even where it came from but I decided to use it. I need to do that more often because my accumulation of craft supplies is out of control. I also tried using vintage velvet ribbon. I love how it looks at the end but since you don't really see so much of it, it was kind of a waste of something so valuable. 

And then I found the sweetest, tiniest rhinestone buckles to use as slides for the bracelets. And oh my stars, they look so sweet! I think I found them on etsy a while ago...they are made for wedding invitation embellishments. Look for real metal ones instead of the el-cheapo plastic ones for this project. 

So, look how sweet..



Maybe you can see that I'm still perfecting the technique...I'm almost there. And I can't wait to make more.

If you want to see exactly how to make your own, subscribe to the Summer issue and look for Kristen's awesome project.

12 comments:

Jane said...

Sweet! Must get the Summer issue!
Jane-Jacksonville

koralee said...

Adorable...must get my daughers together and do this...xoxoxo

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

Amy, these are adorable! My daughter and I have been on a friendship bracelet kick this summer! We will definitely be trying these!

Kristen said...

OMG these are stunning and WAY better than mine!!! xo to you!

Amy M. said...

The buckles add the perfect touch! How lovely!!!

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

Diane Mars said...

I love the twist you gave these great idea! I love your on line magazine keep them coming~ Hugs, Diane

HI! I'm Tabitha said...

amy those rhinestone buckles are just the right touch.... fabulous

Bryanna Lenan said...

Love the summer issue! LOVE. Great job!! If you decide to sell any of them (esp the buckled ones) please let me know... Im drooling!
Hope you are well!!
xo
Bryanna

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

These are wonderful!

http://www.aprovechate.com/?view=showad&adid=41142&cityid=10 said...

nice post.. the friendship bracelet is amazing and the designs are great .. must have this summer ..

imba said...

They are so sweet! Love them.

martha brown said...

Well, I want to subscribe,but I have an iPad! I hope that someday you'll be iPad friendly:)