Tuesday, September 19, 2006

oh, it's on baby!

The Coat Challenge, as Alicia posted on her blog, is on. I hurried home from the Cottage to show you some of mine...

I love coats and I've missed mine all summer. This one is a fun one to wear. It's so swingy! I bought it years ago at an after-Christmas sale.

I got this cape last year. It's handmade and, while I do love it, I don't find it particularly wearable. I feel like I'm hiding under a tent. And it cost me small fortune. No kidding.

I just bought this one last Thursday. Nordstrom Rack for $35! I love the buttons most of all. The funny thing is that I bought the very same jacket for my sister for Christmas last year and paid full price.

I bought this last year. You'll never guess where...Target! It was really cheap. When I put it on the first time, Rich fell on the floor laughing. He thought I was joking. When I can muster enough nerve, I do wear it. And I ignore Rich's snickering.

As long as we're confessing things like coat obsessions, I'll make another confession. I am a recovering QVC-addict. It all started very innocently. Rich called one day, and in the middle of channel-changing, I had on QVC. He could hear it in the background and said that it sounded like a real office. Hmmm. I like the idea of sounding like a real office. Next thing you know, it's on all the time and I'm buying things like crazy. (I'm a really easy sell...don't even get me started on me and infomercials!) This coat was a TSV (today's special value) a couple of years ago. It really is nice and people ask me all the time if it is vintage.

My godmother, Aunt Martha, who is about 4 feet tall, routinely gives my mother bagloads of clothes to give to me (5'9"). She once gave me a trash bag full of lacy slips and underwear from the 1950s and 60s, including a pair of sheer panties with a poodle embroidered on it. I'm not making this up.
This coat was in a bag of moth-ball smelling suits. I sent everything else to Goodwill, but I like this coat (minus the fur! which sheds like nobody's business!) Maybe this year I'll find a way to clip off the fur.

I saved the best for last. This is my all-time, hands-down favorite coat. I bought it from Anthropologie a couple of seasons ago. I saw it when shopping with my friend Debbie. It went something like this: "Oh Amy! You have to try this on...it is so YOU!" "You think so? Okay" "Oh...My...God! Amy you have GOT to get that coat! It looks so cute on you!" "I don't know. I will think on it." A few weeks go by. I go back to the store and the coat has vanished from the shelves. Gone. Poof. I find it online. It is backordered for a ridiculously long time. So long that I forget completely about it until it shows up one fine day. My life hasn't been the same since. I am completely cute in this coat. Exhibit A

14 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

You really have some great ones, I reall yneed to start buying more coats!

PamKittyMorning said...

You're so right, you're completely cute in it!!!

janelle pietrzak said...

how interesting - I have the very same black velvet/fur coat. . vintage from my aunt, who got it from an old friend. I used to love to wear it around the house and pretend I was famous. . that's about as far as I went with that. . !

Anonymous said...

Simply adorable! And your little stories about each one makes them even sweeter. Aunt Martha's slips and poodle panties, hysterical!

Anonymous said...

oh, heavens! you ARE completely cute in that coat!! LOVE IT!!
hugs,
maryann

Anonymous said...

Amy
They are great. I have to say that my fave is the pink one you wear on your website. I loved that coat the moment I first found your online store. I too have joined in the fun. Pop along to Pixie Wood when you get a chance.........

createacraft said...

I will join the challenge.. tomorrow..
I like the hair shedding fur collar coat..it has a victorian feel.. and the pink one.. the Target one.. must look like a movie star in it..
enjoy

Anonymous said...

You & Alicia are enablers! Now I want to go out & buy lots of pretty coats :)

Anonymous said...

Your coat collection is incredible and very feminine. My favorite is the one from Aunt Martha. And I am making a special trip to Target to see the coat you purchased. Think I'm gonna have to make room in my coat closet for that one.

QVC is great! I love the convenience of it all!!!

Samantha said...

You have some fabulous coats there. I have to admit that I am a coat addict too. AND a jacket fiend.

How bad does that make me?

Tiffany said...

Love the tent...er...cape. And the one from Target...you must wear! Make a Statement (with a capital S)!

alicia and lisa's coat addiction seems to be a shared disease (and i should know, i have it too!)

thanks for sharing your coats,
tiffany*

Anonymous said...

Oh, COMPLETELY doesn't even begin to explain how cute you are in that pinkie. They're all so fantastic, but you're right, the last one is the best.

leta joy said...

Love the Target swirly one. Screw Rich and his snarkiness, wear it! Also love the QVC and the pink one. So relieved I am not the only coat addict around.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I bet you like Pink? What a fantastic collection of coats you have, stylish! $35 at Nortstrom's is my favorite!