Monday, November 20, 2006

thanksgiving

Last year this time I was thick in the planning of a Thanksgiving feast. We hosted it for Rich's entire family. This is no small feat since he's one of eleven children and almost all of his brothers and sisters have little families of their own. I think there were 25 people...maybe more.

The very best thing I did was to brine the turkey. It was a lot of work, especially since the bird was so huge (27 lbs). I awoke at 4 am because I was so afraid I wouldn't get everything done. I'm very good at cooking for the two of us but, when you're cooking for a crowd, everything changes. Rich's mother still cooks almost every meal as if it were feeding a crowd. She makes so much mashed potatoes that it looks like a joke. In fact, she was worried last year at Thanksgiving that I would have trouble peeling all the potatoes so she stayed over the night before.

This year we're having Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house. Both my mother and my father cook equal amounts for Thanksgiving and every meal. My mother follows recipes to a t while my father tends to improvise. I'm definitely more in the camp with my father. When I was little I thought all parents cooked together. There's a nice yin-yang about it. And every meal is cooked with love. After we ate, we always said "I enjoyed my dinner. May I please be excused?"

And doesn't every cook want to know that you enjoyed your dinner? In detail? I know I do.

My family's Thanksgiving standards are:
Turkey with gravy and dressing made into patties
Baked Ham
Potatoes Au Gratin
Broccoli Casserole
Sweet Potato Pudding
Green Beans
Corn Pudding
Homemade Rolls
Cranberry Sauce
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie

Maybe I'm forgetting something. Boy, I'm getting hungry just thinking of it. Just a couple of days away...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving you sweet girl!!
Hugs,
Maryann

Sean Carter said...

Well having some people over for Thanksgiving is really fun...that really brings out the true spirit of Thanksgivng....and hey you menu sounds delicious...it's making me drool...and hey for more interesting resources on Thanksgiving do visit my Thanksgiving Blog sometime and share some fun and joy of Thanksgiving!!!!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Don't know why but we always had celery sticks on the table as well as everything yummy you listed...and people here in my marriage hometown eat oyster stuffing which sounds odd to me :)

Anonymous said...

Stop, you're making me drool! Mmmmm, turkey day...mmmmmm, post turkey day sandwiches - those are my fave! Homemade bread slathered with mayo and my Mum's orange cranberry relish, stuffing, carrots and turkey...yummmmmm!

Oh, I think I just gained 5 pounds, just by thinking!

:^)

Tiffany*

(p.s. ordered those vintage candy boxes from you and I just LOVE them! They're sitting on top of my t.v. inspiring me to dig out the rest of the Christmas trimmings!)

Anonymous said...

I just love Thanksgiving. I have it at our home every year. I only have one brother but between us and our children we have about 15. I started brining my turkey last year and now I wouldn't prepare it any other way. It was the best turkey I ever made! In fact it's brining as we speak. I brine it in apple cider, bay leaves, allspice and kosher salt. My big camping cooler makes the best container for brining. Whoever came up with this idea was a smart cookie. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family from a lurker who has been reading your delightful blog for a couple of months now.
lauri

Anastasia said...

That sounds delicious!! very wholesome and filling...have fun!!