Tuesday, November 14, 2006

tara road?

When I saw the preview for the upcoming movie "The Holiday", I got a little excited. It sounded exactly like Maeve Binchy's Tara Road, one of my very favorite books.



But, even though the premise is exactly the same, Maeve Binchy isn't given any writing credits. After doing a little bit of research I found out that there actually was a movie made of Tara Road with the same name released last year starring Andie MacDowell! How in the world did I miss that?



And isn't it crazy/interesting/weird that Hollywood is releasing two movies that seem to be exactly the same movie in such close proximity of each other?

I will rent Tara Road soon. It will be like visiting old friends to see that wonderful book come to life on screen, even if it is my small screen. I think, too, I will see The Holiday in the theatre. I'm a sucker for movie theatre popcorn and movies like this on a chilly autumn night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh it has Stephen Rea in it - he looks exactly like my ex-brother-in law and I love his accent!

Lena said...

I've enjoyed Maeve Binchy's books. I didn't know that a movie was made of it either.
I'm looking forward to The Holiday. A lighthearted romantic comedy...perfect.
All of your "gifts" are wonderful Amy! You find and make the most delightful things!

Anonymous said...

I adored the book Tara Road and had no clue there was a movie either, thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I loved Tara Road too, and thought the new movie was probably based on it....i guess not! I will have to rent the older movie though...I never heard of it when it came out. Love Andi MacDowell.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Amy! I've told you before that you've expanded my world. I love Maeve Benchy and would have missed this movie altogether if you hadn't said something.

I love your gifts and the way that you showcase them. You do everything so beautifuly, so lovingly!

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify for you, Tara Road was only released in Ireland, it didn't come out in the US last year, that's why you hadn't seen it! I studied abroad last fall in Ireland and saw it there...I absolutely LOVED it! So when I saw the previews for The Holiday, I was a little upset that they made a remake rather than just release Tara Road here in the US. Tara Road was definitely my favorite movie I saw while living in Ireland, so I would still recommend everyone getting it!! Hope that helps! :)

Anonymous said...

I am currently reading the book Tara Road and only recently realized that I had previously seen the movie based on the book. While the movie can't possibly compare, it was pretty good. I'll have to re-rent the movie...it's always best AFTER reading the book. :)