Wednesday, December 16, 2009

cupcake scarf

I bought this blanket (from Ikea)

and a bunch of these containers (from The Container Store)

Because I had an idea for a really cute, really cheap-o gift...

A scarf disguised as a cupcake!


I used to sell something similar (a ruffled scarf rolled up and sold in the same sort of large cupcake-like liner container) so I can't really take credit for this being a totally original idea. (The one I sold is no longer available but it was distrubuted by Two's Company).

I'm sure you can guess what I did. I cut the blanket into strips about 8 inches wide and got 8 scarves from one $20 blanket. I started to roll hem all the edges but decided (after it took forever!) that it was okay to keep the frayed edges. And then I sewed felt beads all over it. I cut the beads in half to be extra frugal but I'm thinking that the next one might have fewer whole beads on it.

Also, I'm working on some flowered versions...


Alfredo and I had an extra special Christmas treat today. We went to the traveling version of the Rockette's Christmas Spectacular. We had possibly the worst seats but it was still wonderful. Alfredo really loved it. And when I asked what his favorite part was he said "the beautiful ladies". How cute is that?

Today's matchbox is by the very beautiful lady, Maija Lepore.

And look how delightful the surprise is inside...

And today's door...

24 comments:

Christi said...

that is simply brilliant! hitting my head ... why didn't i think of that when i've picked up that blanket and almost bought it so many times! adorable!

melissadc76 said...

Amy, your blog is the best. No wonder its called inspireco!

Just loving it more and more every new post.

Tra La La Boom De Ay said...

Oh those are very cute! I would love to be on your Christmas list!

Jean A. said...

Amy~
How do you get so much done in a day? You always AMAZE me!The scarf is too cute!! miss you!
Jean

Tamerie Shriver Halliday said...

Oh Amy, the cake cakes are sooo cute! And I love Alfredo's comment, too! Hope you are thoroughly enjoying this holiday season!

Hugs,
Tamerie

Sue said...

Amy,
I just love, love, love the cupcake scarf idea! Your creativity continues to amaze and inspire me.

Sue E.

Shelley Noble said...

Super cute cupcake scarves! Not only are the presentations perfect, the resulting scarf is right to wear at this time of year, all snowy, etc. Great job, Inspireco!

Patty said...

You win great idea of the day !!! Really cute : )

Suz said...

Love love love those cupcake scarves, Amy! You are a busy little bee!

Alfredo is so charming! Love that little guy. What a perfect thing to say!

Big hugs to you!

Bev said...

Beautiful scarf and presentation in the cupcake liner is brillant!..love it! And Alfredo with Santa is so adorable....
Thank you!...now I should be heading to Ikea!

sassy said...

your cupcake scarf is delicious! pottery barn, ikea......you are one lucky gal to have great shopping close!

Simply EC said...

I am LOVING the matchboxes and the advent house! I am now on a mission to obtain an advent house to decorate for my son's next Christmas. Imagine how awesome I could make it if I had a whole YEAR to work on it!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

How cute is that cuddly scarf/cupcake! It's such a great presentation. I bet it'd be perfect for teacher gifts.

natalea said...

oh my goodness- what a cute idea! I love it!
and i wanted to tell you that the nativity ornament you made me is my daughter's all time favorite ornament- she told me "it's so sweet, I want to put it in my room" and she's only 4! I thought it was so cute that she loved it so much! I adore it too!
Happy Christmas Amy, xo

Julia said...

Thats one of the best ideas Ive seen yet! I have just come across your blog today and its totally delightful, love the advent boxes too, just gorgeous!

See you soon
Julia xxx

JUNKER JANE said...

Oh! The scarf disguised as a cupcake!! brilliant and so sweet looking! :)

andrea creates said...

Love that cupcake/scarf idea- how 'sweet' :)
and those little matchboxes-how cute are those!!

Susan at Charm of the Carolines said...

How adorable! And very creative! I'm not sure I could make it look so good even given the idea.

Thanks for sharing!

Susan at Charm of the Carolines

Nora said...

Did you glue the scarf in the holder?? I picked up the cupcake holder last night when i was in the city. And plan to get the blanket after Christmas when I'm in WA visitng my new grandbaby. I really want to make these to play with my granddaughters who live here by me. They would love them.

natalie hansen said...

Oh AMy! WHat an adorable idea! Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! xoxo Natalie

Christy said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I'm so so glad I did :) It's like bloggy eye candy!

Molly said...

brilliant! i walked by those same blankets at ikea yesterday and did a double take. they reminded me instantly of a anthropologie style scarf. i didn't even think about buying the blanket to make scarves! what an incredible gift. well done!

Caroline Renee said...

Amy, I'm just stumbling upon your blog for the first time and am so excited to have found it--it really is inspiring! I absolutely love the idea of cutting the blanket into strips to make scarves--brilliant!

Barbara Jean said...

these are all sooo cute!!

I need some empty white ones to do Valentine boxes for my store.

great idea for the scarves and containers to make look like cupcakes!!

blessings

barbara jean