Wednesday, December 2, 2009

advent

I have two advent countdowns going...want to see?

My friends Ann & Linda gave me my Christmas present early...



(Except of course mine doesn't say "Williams"...this is the catalog picture.) When Ann gave it to me she said "I just know you'll do something fun with it to make it yours..."

I loved it just as it is but that thought planted a seed in my mind and I started imagining it in brighter colors, with different doors...


It took much more time than I'd thought it would. One night when I was hunched over it even though I had a crazy backache and a list a million things long, sweet Rich suggested ever-so-carefully that perhaps this project wasn't a priority...
The house itself is no longer available online. My friend Ann bought it at the Pottery Barn outlet in Leesburg...maybe they still have some available. I put it on a lazy susan so it would be easy to access all the doors (on all four sides!) If I can find the time, I'm going to decorate the lazy susan too. Or maybe I can buy one from my friend Jean.
There are 25 doors in all so it counts all the way to the big day itself.

I decided to decorate inside each door the night before so that it would be a surprise. I'm glittering the outside of the door so he knows which ones are ready...we're of course on door number 2 today and he loves this already.

Here's what yesterday's door had inside...

And here's today's...



My second Advent calendar was a Silver Bella swap. Each of us made 24 matchboxes in our number (mine was 19). I hung them all garland style from a wire strung under the boxwood garland above my mantel. If there's an ornament inside, we'll hang it on the garland.

Here's yesterday's box (made by Stephanie Oyler)

And look what's inside...

And today's box (made by Stacy McGinnis)

And this adorable felt bell inside...

So the countdown begins...I'm going to try to not let panic take over and enjoy each moment with Alfredo as he discovers the wonder of this holiday season.

17 comments:

Amy M. said...

Those are adorable!!!!

By the way, I'm mailing your Art Exchange package today. Sorry it's so late!!!

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

jen duncan said...

The matchbox swap resulting in the cutest garland EVER is just a phenomenally great idea! So happy for you girls that got in on it :-)

Julie Ann said...

Your advent house is the cutest!!!
What an awesome swap you're in! All those matchboxes look like tiny little ornaments :)

matgrif said...

Every single minute that you spent on the advent house was more than worth it. Ohhh - sigh, what a magical little bit of Christmas.

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

Seriously LOVING the advent house! You made it your own, completely!

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy both of these are too precious! Could you post everyday and show us what's inside? I am as curious as Alfredo!
I got a new, super duper Canon camera as an early Christmas present, so I think I will start blogging again just as soon as I learn to use it.
Lovey

Stephanie O. said...

Glad you enjoyed the matchbox I made for the swap!

Teresa said...

Adorable Advent House!!!! Gaaaa!!!! And I love the matchbox Advent boxes. They are amazing. Lucky me--I got a set at Silver Bella, too!!! What a labor of love that must have been!

Shelley Noble said...

Super adorable!

Katie {My Paisley Apron} said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE your advent house!! What an absolutely adorable idea, and you made it so totally beautiful!!!

mIzZ (hONeY) bEe aka Marlene said...

ohhh Amy...I soo love you Advent House way tooo adorable...I too have an advent matchbox set but I put mine on a mini white feather tree...it sooo much fun to open the boxes...the advent boxes make me think of the saying "Everyday is a gift that's why we call it the present"..have a honey of a night - sweet dreams! grace peace joy & many blessings 2 U, Marlene

Claudia said...

The Advent House is just so cute - and magical. Alfredo will have such a wonderful experience with it. And I love the matchbox set, too!

Cristina said...

Amy, LOVE your holiday blog update. So darn cute!!! Especially the little star hanging from your banner. sigh. such eye candy. :) I was just shopping with my mama at the Cottage yesterday for things we "needed." Tee, hee!
xoxo
Cristina

deb said...

Amy, the house is darling!! So are all those little matchboxes. Next year I want to work on some sort of countdown. I love that house!

gabrielle said...

Amy! I love what you did with your match boxes! So much advent fun going on in your home!

tammyCA said...

Just love your advent house! Now, I wish I had that one instead of the one I'm trying to make-over...yep, I'm still working on it.

RED SHOES said...

you always amaze me at your creativity!
i miss you sweet friend!
wish life wasn't so crazy, i keep up with your blog from time to time peeking in, wishing you tons of happiness and more sweetness for the coming year, you deserve it!
xoxoxo
love you
C.