Tuesday, December 22, 2009

again?

First, let me tell you about this matchbox. It was a bit of a mystery but the person who was to make matchbox number 21 wasn't at Silver Bella. So we all had this almost complete set of matchboxes counting down the days for Christmas...but how could we countdown without a day number 21? So Suz Reaney and I decided to make each other a special number 21 matchbox. Suz is so completely together that she whipped hers up and sent it to me before I even unpacked from Silver Bella. Seriously! She wanted to make sure I had the complete set (including number 21) for December 1. (I am not so together, as you might already know from previous experience, so she didn't get hers from me until a few days later)

So look how completely special this number 21 from Suz Reaney is:
The flip side is even adorable...

And look how wonderful...

And more wonderful still...

The ittiest bittiest Santa paper doll EVER!

She also sent a bigger size of the same paper doll and Mrs. Claus and Alfredo plays so sweetly with them. But he has a little problem keeping the clothes on the paper dolls. So I overheard him as Santa saying to Mrs. Claus "I'm just going to wear my pajamas to deliver all the toys!" Good thinking, Santa.

Before I give you the other updates...I'm going to tell you a little about how crazy I am.

I have a million things to do. We all do, right? A million and one, to tell the truth. I'm quite busy doing all of these millions plus one things. Too busy, really, to make up projects to do.

Like this...
I can't say much about it because it's part of a gift. But really? Seriously? Does even Martha hand embroider gift tags at this point in the game?

And do you know what else I did?
I made gifts for someone else to give...

Our favorite priest (who was moved to another parish this summer) stopped by last week for some coffee. As we chatted and caught up, I showed him an ornament that I had made with a miniature nativity scene in it. He loved it and the next thing you know, I'm offering to make them as gifts for him to give. How many? 15. FIFTEEN ornaments that take about an hour or two each to make. No, even Martha would not take on such a project one week before Christmas, would she?

I'll show you the ornament later this week (I'm making some more for gifts) but for now, let's appreciate these finished and wrapped. And let's mark that one off the list, shall we?

And look how beautiful the tags are? They are by Brenda Walton and I love them so much I could barely bring myself to use them, not even for gifts for a priest to give. But I did in the end, and they are so lovely, are they not?

So as I was thinking today of the frenzy that I've whipped myself into with all of these extra helpings of stuff to do. And I started to think of what Christmas really, really means. And that maybe it's in these beautiful acts of kindness...like taking care of a priest so that he can show love to the people in his new parish...and by taking the time to make an extra special touch on a gift...where you really spread the joy and love of Christmas day. And I really started to think about how much more important these tiny little things are than a lot of other little things that I have on my list. And that maybe I'm not so crazy afterall.

Speaking of things to be done...I've gotten a little behind again, haven't I?

Without further ado, may I present today's matchbox by the very talented Hope Ellington...


And inside? lovelier still...

Yesterday's door...

And today's...


Stay tuned tomorrow for more Christmas chaos...

4 comments:

Grace said...

you are freaking amazing!!!! Holy smokes. I thought I would make Holiday cards this year and was close and just said send out vintage looking like cards and so a little destressed. lol I read this and paniced your stuff is georgeous. Did you just make copies of the labels and glitter? Merry Christmas Grace

Barbara Jean said...

hi
matchbox by Hope Ellington
any idea where she gets them? or do you have an address for her?
I'm looking for them at a reasonable price, hoping not to have to make my own.

thanks

barbara jean

Barbara Jean said...

me again

will you mail me when you show the ornament with the nativity in it?

some times i cannot find my way back to places and i really want to see it.

thanks

barbara jean
email on my profile page.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your handmade nativity ornament!!!! Nativities are my favorite things! And yes, you definitely touched on the true meaning of Christmas!