Tuesday, January 23, 2007

unbroken


Do you remember when I was inspired by Brocade Home's jars of eye candy?

The other day I spotted this huge fishbowl and knew immediately that I had to have it.

Unfortunately, when I put it in the trunk and even cushioned it with the pillows I'd also just purchased, I forgot to account for the arm hinge of the trunk. As I shut the trunk, there was an extrardinarily loud glass-breaking sound. I re-opened the trunk slowly and took the bagged broken beautiful thing back into the store. I didn't want to put the glass in a public trashcan and thought they'd dispose of it safely.

Both ladies behind the counter insisted that I either exchange it for the other one of the shelves or get my money back. I just couldn't feel good about that. I mean, I was the dummy who broke it. It didn't make sense for them to replace it...as tempting as that idea was. I wished that I could just rewind time and remember that part of the trunk.

Trying to put it behind us, mumbling something about it not being meant to be, etc. we went to grab some lunch. All through lunch I kept thinking about it. It was just a perfect piece...and only $20!

On our way home, impulsively, I told Rich to swing back by the store. I went back in and quickly bought another one.

I'm so glad I did. It'll be fun to fill with all sorts of fun things.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet is that, Amy!!! Good thing you went back because this is just so pretty!

Now you see why I love your blog...so much eyecandy and so many sweet ideas!

Thanks for commenting on my new blog. You are the very FIRST person to comment! Which just confirms your reputation of being THE sweetest!!!

Marianne

Anonymous said...

love the fishbowl with such cool stuff in it, love it that you took the high road and paid for the replacement and love the fact that you knew you wanted it and went ahead with the repurchase...good for you! xoC

Anonymous said...

Ummmm...yeah. So, Amy.....I followed your link in this post, and scrolled down, reading about Brocade Home and looking at the fab photos and...wait! What's THAT? Is that Amy's childhood SOFA in the photo???? It very well could be - it's the same color, the same damask pattern, a similar shape.....how very intriguing!

No WONDER you love Brocade Home so much, my dear! It's been in your heart for years! ;o)

LOVE the fishbowl jar, too - I am certain you will find treasures galore to regale us with!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little vignette! I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes around the house filling up jars and bowls just for the visual pleasure of the color and grouping! Have a wonderful Wednesday, Amy!

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful fish bowl. How nice of the store to offer exchange and money back, they wouldn't do it in this country. It's certainly eye-candy when you put all your crafty items in it!

Funky Finds said...

GORGEOUS!!!!

Anonymous said...

wow what an inspirational way to look at your supplies.

Anonymous said...

That's such a pretty display - great idea!

Anonymous said...

I remember that Brocade photo! I saved the whole catalog because I couldn't bring myself to part with it. Glad you went back to get another one, I'm sure you won't regret it!

Anonymous said...

I think that is a lovely idea. It is too bad about your first fish bowl. I would have done the same thing. I wouldn't feel right exchanging it after I broke it.
Have a great day!

Tina Kay

Anonymous said...

Love the idea...and such a fun way to display all those vintage goodies..

Anonymous said...

I love that idea for all my ribbon stash!