Wednesday, January 24, 2007

a doll and then, what's for dinner

I really love this sweet peg doll. I bought her a couple of weeks ago at the DC Big Flea.

She has only her underclothes but I like her that way. The circles that you see by her arm were the part of her underpinnings that created the bustle of her dress.

I went back to our new Whole Foods today. It's really amazing. We've had Whole Foods in our area for as long as I've lived here. But this new store is simply amazing. It's more a restaurant than a grocery store. Here's an article about it

I mostly just wandered up and down the aisles. I didn't make a grocery list. My only real goal was to get dinner for tonight (chicken stuffed with chevre, couscous with parmesan and pine nuts, steamed vegetables) and something for tomorrow's lunch at the Cottage. (shrimp salad and fresh tortillas to make a little wrap).

I still do love Wegman's and I'll probably do my regular shopping there still. But I have to admit I am wooed by this grand new store. I mean, puhleeze. Do I need to show you that cupcake again?

Oh, and get this. There's a high-tech wine tasting room. You put money on a card which you scan into a wine-dispensing machine. Select your tasting size and it will pour it into the glass for you. The tastings started at $1 each and went all the way up to $27! The $27 tasting comes from a bottle costing $290. Wouldn't that be a fun thing to do with friends?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in love with our whole foods, too. Soooo hard to not spen $40 for dinner!

Anonymous said...

I think you have a "hitty " doll. If you've never heard of hitty, then you must read her book! Do a google search for hitty, and see what you find. The story of her is so sweet and charming. Rosemary

Anonymous said...

I went to Whole foods in Alexandria last week and specifically checked the bakery for a confection like you showed. Nothing like it was there! I think that you have an exceptional Whole Foods. Oh my gosh, I just realised it is RIGHT by where I work!!! Lunch expedition!

Anonymous said...

What are cute doll, great find. I am loving your descriptions on what you will have for dinner and lunch, they are really making me hungry. Organic food sounds wonderful and the wine tasting? great fun.

Anonymous said...

I've got to check out the new Whole Foods. Am pretty excited about it. Just wish they'd put one closer to me. And I really want to do sample some great wines from that machine!

Junie Moon said...

The doll is adorable! Sometimes I just wander the grocery store and hope to be inspired. I try not to do that very often but sometimes it's just a "go on your instincts" kind of day. Naturally, temptation lurks on every aisle because of such behavior.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy!! I have been checking in with bloglines without actually stopping by...and just now popped in to see your beautiful new banner full of Mo goodies. It's gorgeous!! You are so incredibly talented and i just adore you!
Oh, and yes, when I used to live in Maryland I used to frequent the Whole Foods. Man, do I miss those days! Nothing like that here. *sniff* What I wouldn't give to enjoy one of those exquisite cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

love her just as she is too...she does look like Hitty. I have the same doll cupboard as your white one..mine is red and green. Sweetheart pin on its way to you today!
xoC

Lena said...

This doll is so wonderful Amy and I like her dressed simply in her underclothes too.
Lately all of our family birthday cakes come from Whole Foods. I love their carrot cake!

Anonymous said...

What, where and when is the "DC Big Flea?" I live in Denver, but visit quite frequently out east. I have family in Ashburn and Leesburg. We'd all love to go to the flea if we had the details...

Anonymous said...

hello dear friend, you dolly is very beatiful, your markets sound like a lot of fun, i love all your things.