Wednesday, July 1, 2009

grace




I had been searching forever for a vintage Miraculous Medal so when I found this one at Gilding The Lily, I was beside myself with joy. I showed it to Kristen and told her how important it was to me. I told her how I needed find someone to make it into a necklace for me to wear everyday.

Do you know the story of The Miraculous Medal? Mary appeared in a vision to a young nun in Paris in the early 19th century and described the image on the medal. She then told the young nun "Have a medal struck upon this model. Those who wear it will receive great graces, especially if they wear it around the neck.” Great miracles started happening all over France for people who wore the medal. See here for more information.

"There is no superstition, nothing of magic, connected with the Miraculous Medal. The Miraculous Medal is not a “good-luck charm”. Rather, it is a great testimony to faith and the power of trusting prayer. Its greatest miracles are those of patience, forgiveness, repentance, and faith. God uses a Medal, not as a sacrament, but as an agent, an instrument, in bringing to pass certain marvelous results."

Kristen graciously and generously offered to make the necklace for me...she even bought the vintage medal.

Last week it arrived and it is just so beautiful.




Thank you so much, Kristen, for making such a personal, beautiful piece for me. I wear it as a constant whispering prayer.

17 comments:

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Beautiful. I love how she added such a lovely detail to the clasp. I know you will always love wearing it.
jill

Teresa said...

Beautiful necklace with beautiful details. So very pretty.

mIzZ (hONeY) bEe aka Marlene said...

Ohhhh Amy, how beautiful is that....I've been sooo into the Blessed Mother lately...between being in a Miraculous Mary Montage Swap & collecting statues of Her...plus when I was in the 8th grade I was honor to Crown the Blessed Mother in the May Crowning of our Church...I got to wear a simple white wedding dress & a crown & to be in a parade behind the Blessed Mother's statue - way to awesome for words... thank you Amy for sharing that info on the medal & for letting me remember a special memory of my childhood...its a good thing...grace peace joy & love 2 "U" Marlene :O)

Leanne said...

I love this. May blessings come your way...

parasols and maryjanes said...

Amy, this is such a beautiful piece. I am sure you will wear it in faith and love. I also have a miraculous medal and do not have a chain on it yet. Thank you for the info on the history and the link for more info.
Elizabeth

Unknown said...

That is just beautiful! I just finished reading "Looking for Mary" by Beverly Donofrio and this reminds me so much of it. I think you would enjoy it.

Kim Caldwell said...

So beautiful sweet Amy. This medal will always remind me of you and your time here. I think I am it in our game of phone tag. . .

Hugs, Kim

rozetta said...

The necklace is so beautiful! I, also, think that the medal serves as a reminder to have faith in what we believe.

~elaine~

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

Amy, this is so beautiful! What a beautiful necklace it turned out to be. xo Heather

Jeanne Oliver said...

Gorgeous...and the meaning is so wonderful too!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully designed and beautifully described. I try to attach a small Miraculous Medal to each rosary I make (though sometimes it's a Sacred Heart milagro) because I love it so much.

Anonymous said...

I love the story...many blessings to you! I love Mary too! I pray to her often for help with my mothering. Oh, please send me patience and mercy! lol...with 4 kids I need all the help I can get.
Happy 4th Amy.

Suz said...

Amy,
I consider myself an honorary Catholic. I grew up as the only non-Catholic in my neighborhood and telling saint stories was part of the drill. I was even given penance by my friends and had to do their penance after their confession. Needless to say, my mom thought I was wetting the bed when it was soaked with Holy Water!

A long way of saying....I was deeply touched by this story. I think Kristen did a wonderful job on your necklace, as well. Wear it, knowing that Mary is with you.

I collect Mary's from different countries and she is watching me in her different forms.

Hugs,
Suz
Freshman Bella

P.S.When I am planning for my matchbook advent calendar, I often think of Alfredo and wonder if he would like what I did...just can't help it...I do!!!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely little treasure to wear close to your heart, Amy. Keep whispering your prayers. ~Dori

Kristen Robinson said...

Amy I am the one who feels so blessed to have had the opportunity to create this piece for you. Your beauty and grace is a gift to all who know you!
XOX
Kristen

Gina said...

I had no idea about the power of this medal! I have an antique one. It is sterling silver, a rectangular frame with a flower and leaves cut out. The center of the flower is the medal. I used to wear it all the time and then stopped. It is in a little bowl next to my bed that has several medals that are significant to me (especially St Therese of Lisieux). I don't know if I'll start wearing it, but I'll bring it to Silver Bella to share. (I actually have a SECOND Miraculous Medal that is a part of a key--it says Key to Heaven on it--and it has three medals embedded in the part of the key you would hold--not sure what that's called!)

Genie said...


Such a comfort. I was raised in the Catholic tradition and can't say I am the most faithful but i can say I love rosaries, metals and the saints. There is holy water in my desk drawer. All of these symbols give me make me feel secure and closer to Him.
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and personal story.

xxooo