Tuesday, July 14, 2009

awning

For a very long time now I've gazed at my kitchen window and imagined an awning there. I've looked at custom made ones but they were a bit outside my budget. I thought about making them out of wood but, for one thing, I'm no woodworker. For another, it seemed like it would be too heavy.

Then the other day the thought occurred to me to make it out of artist's canvas, which I noticed they are now selling by the roll at Michael's. But on the particular day a few weeks ago when the inspiration struck, they were sold out.

Think, think, think.

This inspiration was like an itch that had to be scratched and I just had to make the awning right there, right then.

What if...what if...what if I took a premade roman shade made of duck canvas and treated it with gesso....hmmm. Would that work? And what if I hung the shade with two tension rods...one at the top through the rod pocket...and the other at the bottom between the two cabinets at their edge. Why wouldn't that work?

Guess what! It worked perfectly. And it took only a matter of hours to make. I started on it that night and finished and hung it the very next day!



I used a plate to trace the scallop and then drew the line straight up. After I painted the pink stripes, I cut out the scallop design. Since it was treated with gesso, there's no worry of fraying.

You wouldn't believe how much more whimsical and delightful my kitchen looks with this as my over-the-kitchen-sink window treatment.

31 comments:

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

DARLING! One more bit of evidence that Amy's house is a bonafide sweet shop! ;0) Thanks for sharing this GREAT idea!

Decor To Adore said...

This is adorable! Well done.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty much a silent follower ~ kinda shy :) But ~ when I read your post today......I am in awe! Brilliant ~ Love it. Cute and so creative. Thanks for sharing!
Jan Olson

Dawn said...

Clever you!

Waterfall said...

I am awfully in awe of your awesome awning. I love my creative friend!

vintage girl at heart said...

love it!

Katie Runnels said...

wonderful!!xoxo

Saucy said...

"Like an itch that had to be scratched"... I know that feeling! The best things come from problem-solving brainstorming sessions like yours. Very, very cute!

Christine (in Arlington) said...

I remember when you drew a sketch of your ideal kitchen remodel w/this awning!

I love when people take everyday items and turn them into something extra special! Bravo to you for being so resorceful and saving yourself some bucks!

Cheers to creativity! :)

Pamela Jane said...

Your new awning is indeed enchanting -- loved seeing it filtering the sunlight over your kitchen window the other day.

Shelley Noble said...

Braaaa-illiant! Man, that was the very best solution, well done!

Natasha said...

That is just plain smart! Smart thinking and smart looking!! Hmmm wonder I could pull that off in my kitchen?

natalie hansen said...

I remember you blogging about an awning way back...It turned out great! That would look so cut in my kitchen, done in cream and chocolate, or cream and black...I only have a cabinet on one side however....hmmmm. I might have to think about a solution for that!

Anne said...

Your home is so fun!!!

Anonymous said...

Ummmmmmm...wellll....ummmmmm...I have to ask you this...what CAN'T you do????? You are AMAZING!

Geneen from tehachapi

Jill said...

What a brilliant idea! I just love it when you scratch your itches, clever girl!

Laura Zarrin said...

I love the awning. I'm saving this idea in case I have a kitchen with a set up like yours. Absolutely adorable!

Elyse said...

this is GENIUS!!!

love it

xo

Teresa said...

There you go, rocking my world and making me smile again! Love your awning Amy!!!! GAAAAAAAA!!!

What's the bottom curtain rod like? I think I know, but I'm not sure. So love this.

Enjoy your day sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

You are just like Daddy, he can see things in his mind and make them happen. I just see things in my mind and thats as far as it goes. This is awsome. Come do it at my house. Love ya your sister Jessica

Unknown said...

I love this Amy! I may have to do this over my kitchen sink...thanks for telling how to do it!

annie

marble rose said...

Fantastic idea! I love it!

Fleur
x

Linda said...

That's so cute and creative! When I started reading your post I assumed you were thinking of an awning for the outside!

Laurimar said...

I love what you did to your kitchen window, hahaha! Very clever idea!

plastic surgery said...

It looks perfect. You did a great job! Well done.

Marijke said...

I don't comment often, but this is so great! I love it.

I thought I'd share a tip that I use. I am an artist and make my own canvases. I buy the canvas to stretch over the stretcher bars from an awning store here where I live in Salt Lake City. There really only one place that does awnings (custom). I can buy the raw cotton duck canvas for WAY cheaper than from art suppliers, i.e. Utrecht, Michael's, etc. You can also buy it pre-dyed!

Sara said...

How creative! Love it.

Unknown said...

that is brilliant!!

Stef said...

Oh, oh, oh!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I have looked for just the right fabric for 3 years now.............the search is ended! Must go find some canvas.

gabrielle said...

Ohhh love it! I too am a little obsessed with awnings. Have one in each of my kids rooms! Yours is beautiful! Great idea!

Paul| storage shed plans said...

Looks cool, it brightens up and gives more color to the kitchen, nicely done :)