Monday, July 27, 2009

Bruce Variety

"Where did you get this Lorraine?"
"Bruce Variety"
It was repeated often, this sniplet of conversation. Extraordinary things you haven't seen for 20 years or more, my friend Lorraine was buying at this mysterious establishment. Finally, enough was enough. I had to see for myself.

It is a wonderland. A mishmash of kitsch and nostalgia and childhood delights.

Where else could you find such an assortment of hairnets...

and bras so unromantically merchandised...

just name it and you will find it.

It is just like the five and dime we used to break our piggybanks to shop.

Thank you so much Lorraine for our time-travel Friday excursion.

Bruce Variety is in Bethesda, Maryland. Treat yourself to a trip to this legendary store.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hair nets are exactly like the display we had a the Point Variety store I used to work at while in high school. You need to take me here sometime when I come for a visit. Love ya Jessica

Anne said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. It so reminded me of the 5 and 10 I used to go to with my pennies on Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda, back some 40-mumble years ago!

the decorated cookie said...

Oh my gosh, I live in DC and worked down the street from Bruce's for 10 years! Totally agree with your assessment. I'm always amazed at the breadth of what they manage to fit in the store.

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Ah, I remember the 5 and 10! They were cool then, and the concept is still cool today. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

We were just talking about how amazing Bruce Variety was...my family shopped there for many years. On the first day of school it was always packed with most of the kids from Bethesda/Chevy Chase (because that's when you got your school supply list back then) and they always had everything you needed. I promised my daughter on our next visit to family I would take her for the experience, and I'm sure there will be something we need!

Unknown said...

I see my sister Sarah has left a comment just above -- yes, Bruce Variety is a magic place. We spent many hours and many of our allowance pennies there. Thank you for bringing back some fond memories!

Leanne said...

looks like my kind of store...we had one similar to this up where we spent our summers. everything from jigsaw puzzles, romance novels, nail polish to lamp oil and boat supplies. fun!

Linda said...

Wow! I would love to spend some time in that store! I was just remembering the old Woolworth's in my town. It had a coffee shop bar, parakeets, those hair nets, and affordable Christmas presents for a 12 year old to purchase.

Maureen Reynolds said...

Wow...I see an Artist Way date ahead. One where I avoid the beltway and meander thru PG county to get there. Thanks so much for this rec!