Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Art Bliss

I went to Art Bliss last weekend and it was so much fun.

Here's a picture of me in my first class:

Making glass beads! Can you believe it??? 

And look how beautiful they are! Well, at least they are beautiful to me. They are far from perfect...

Especially this one, which I've named Lumpy.

Kerry Bogert, world famous glass art bead maker, taught the class. And she is such a natural teacher and wonderful person. Her passion for her art shines and it was a joy to learn the craft from her. I hope I can take a class from her again. 

After making glass beads all day, I took a class from the amazing Lesley Venable

I made this beautiful pendant.


She and Tom (Art Husband) are so much fun to be around and Lesley is such a completely generous artist and teacher, sharing everything she knows openly. I loved getting to know her and being her student for the evening.

And then on Sunday, I took a class from the incomparable Deryn Mentock and made this:

I stuck my finger in there so you could appreciate just how tiny this is!

See that tiny screw and those teeny eyelets, and especially that silver rivet holding her crown on...we learned how to do all that and more! We made our own rivets! 

Like Kerry and Lesley, Deryn is a generous artist who shares her knowledge, love, and talent liberally. 

By the end of the day, I was completely exhausted and couldn't finish the piece properly. Lori, the nice girl behind me, made a clasp for me (Yes, we made those too!) and I didn't make the chain links to make a proper necklace for it. But I love it so much. I love everything I made. 

And just look at what I bought...

From Deryn Mentock, this beautiful necklace...





I can't tell you how much I love it. It is just so meaningful to me and it looks so lovely paired with the beautiful necklace Kristin made for me

And I bought this bag from my new friend Sandy 
(no blog but I'm trying to convince her to come to Silver Bella as a vendor, if not a student)


Just look at the luscious details...


Help me convince her to sell her bags at Silver Bella...

14 comments:

martha brown said...

Your glass beads are beautiful!!! I bought the "Art Husband" t shirt for Ray when I was at ArtUnraveled. I love lesley and tom!

Grace said...

Lesley and Tom are the best I will see them in CT and Wicked Tea and NY...wow! lol Beautiful beads you made and beautiful jewelry. The Bag is fabulous Sandy should start a blog and Sandy go to Silver Bella and sell! Grace xoxo

Kris and Evie said...

Another vote for Sandy to come to Silver Bella -- to sell and to play!

Teresa said...

Happy squeeeeeel!!! Love the works you shares Amy. I love Deryn...she's a peach!!

The Sandy bags....ooooh la la. They would be a big hit at Silver Bella!!! I wish she had a site, I'd prolly buy one right this minute. Beautiful!!

Lesley said...

Your work is awesome Amy!!! Even ole Lumpy!! I love the way your pendant turned out...it is wild how you can't even tell it is all sealed in with the resin. Amazing job!!! I also vote for Sandy to go to Silver Bella.
You've seen my items first hand do you think they would fit in with that group of artists? I contemplated it this year but so much happened.

Can't wait to see your smiling and whistling face again!!

xo,

Lesley

Anonymous said...

It was lovely having you in class, Amy! You have a delicate, romantic style that came through in all the pieces you created. Wear the Little Flower necklace in good health!

Molly said...

Love the glass beads, peandants, necklaces, all of it!! And Sandy should sell her bags they are
Bee-You-Tee-Full!!!
~Molly P

Cindy said...

Amy, it was so nice to meet you in person...you are just as sweet as I would gather from your beautiful blog. You sure made many beautiful things this weekend, from the beads to the resin pendant and tintype pendant! I hope to see you again in the near future! :-)

jeanetteblix said...

Hi Amy,
It was so nice meeting you and I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful time. You took some amazing classes and seems like you were able to get a little taste of everything. Wish you the best and hope to see you again at a future event:)

Korie B. said...

How beautiful are those beads? I'm kicking myself for not scrambling for a babysitter so I could go.
You look like you're having so much fun!

Irina said...

Wow! It's so beautiful, amazing and fabulous!

Heidi said...

Lovely! (I had a scare on that first photo....I remember you at Silver Bella learning how to solder...I had flasbacks!)
Hugs, Heidi

Suz said...

Amy,
You did beautiful jewelry. Your beads are beautiful. I have a set just like it ;-) Isn't it amazing that you can actually make beads? Kind of miraculous!!!
Hugs,
Suz

Cherry Chick said...

Tell Sandy that her bags are darling! For sure they would sell!