Thursday, December 27, 2007

that was easy!


Can you believe the mess on the left? Jeezy pete! What a disaster!


Oh, but what a nicely organized closet I have now, just an hour or so after the before picture! Can you believe it? Here I am fussing and throwing a little hissy about having to do something that turned out to be not a big deal at all.


Are you wondering what sort of magic trick made all of the stuff on the left disappear? Well, all the scarves and hats and gloves are now in the red bins on the top. (the two left ones are filled to the brim while the one right one has a single pair of gloves and a scarf for sweet Rich who really likes to find his things quickly and easily without having to shuffle through pink fluff to get to it...especially when there's a sidewalk to be shovelled of snow!)


I used all the same sort of nice sturdy wooden hangers that I gathered from all the closets in the house. Coats just need sturdy hangers, don't they?


Lots of stuff, namely the wreath that is shoved in on the right that is faded from the sun and in which a bird tried to make a nest last Spring, really just needed to be tossed. Other things, like a whole bunch of clothes that my 80-year-old friend who is all of 5 feet tall gives me everytime she sees me even though I'm 9 inches taller and gave up acid wash in the 80's along the rest of the world, are getting donated.


You'll be happy to hear that the American flag is more appropriately stored with lots more dignity than it appears in the before picture.
I took the crates of the backissues of the magazine I used to work for down to the basement for storage. Is this something I need to keep forever, I wonder? Maybe so...but not in the coat closet, for Heaven's sake!


On the floor of the closet now I have a big basket of big purses and a small basket of smaller purses. I need to go through these and decide which I can part with but this is for another day. I don't have the heart for it now.


I'm going to rest for a bit longer and then I will tackle my desk and the office with as much zeal and zest as I can muster.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to do the same thing! Only my closet is a walk in and has stuff piled head high all the way to the back! It will take up the whole hallway when I empty it out - yikes! But yours looks so lovely and together - and your coats are sooo cute!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Your reorganized closet looks very inviting now. Great job! What a great collection of coats .. so colorful!

I've been weeding through my closet the last two weeks. Each time I attack it I find something else that I can part with. With each load to the garage (for the final trip to Goodwill) I feel a little bit lighter. I'd like to attack my husband's closet too, but first he has to admit that some things just aren't worn anymore. :-)

stuffed said...

Looks awesome. Purse storage is my problem. I've cut down on the number but have never settled on the perfect storage solution.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed! Looks wonderful. :)

Rebecca
www.jasonandrebecca.com

a pink-bee said...

Wow ! What a great job! Thanks for sharing the picture, I might try to be brave enough to show my closet tomorrow.
crystalxo

Holly said...

Look at you! Squeaky clean! You're my inspiration for cleaning out my closet!

Diane said...

Great job - looks wonderful. I spent yesterday trying to handle paperwork and my desk. I can't say that I'm totally done yet - but hopefully today.

Jill said...

Oh my! Your closet is breathtakingly beautiful!!!! Seriously.... I have a major organizational issue.... no skills in that area AT ALL! I am inspired... I am breathing hard.... I WANT your closet!!! YOu may have started something...
I feel a New Year's Resolution coming on.... organizing... oh yes! Thank you!
I'll keep you posted on the progress...
xoxox

Jeanie said...

oh everything looks great!!! so refreshing isn't it :) Now you can "shop" in your own closet!
Hope you are having a great day!
Jeanie

deb said...

Oh I'm inspired to do the same! I'm in total organizing mode.. well, maybe in a couple days. But I'm planning it all! :)

Anonymous said...

Well done! I'm sure the inspection to become a foster parent will go well. You are extremely organized and such a pleasant person too. :) Any foster kid will be very lucky to have you and your hubby as foster parents.

Yummers! said...

Ooooooo... you have me so motivated!!! You made it sound so simple. Actually I did redo the 2 closets in the guest room before Christmas. It's amazing what some nice rectangular baskets and a shoe rack can do. Are you motivated to do all this because of the inspection for foster care? Anything new in your children's bedrom? It is so darn cute!!
Hugs from the heart,
Joni

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks really great!

Junie Moon said...

I am so glad you posted about your closet re-organization. It looks fabulous and is just the inspiration I need to tackle mine. Doing so is on my list but I've been procrastinating.

Jen Kershner said...

Love your before and afters! I've been busy cleaning out and organizing but I don't have as good an incentive as you do. It looks great. Love the way your coats look hanging in there. Makes me want to try one right on!

Free Art Printables said...

Love the closet! I love the patterns of your fabric in the after...It looks like a magazine picture!
JenR

Babelfish said...

This is fantastic, you did such a great job (you can tidy my wardrobe any time) :)

Merci-Notes said...

BRAVO, BRAVO,
Now that is a nice closet we all wish we had! Very inspirational for us...just a little time and the results are HUGE : )
Hugs,
Mary