Thursday, February 8, 2007

vday gift swap





This is what I made for the Free People Valentine Swap. I was inspired by the garland featured in February's Country Living. I used a chain and tied each glittered heart on with silk ribbon. I'd intended to add beads and baubles but I liked it best just like it is.

I made the box using one of the wooden cigar box bases from Michael's.

Oh, and I used my Cricut to cut all the hearts out. It was a fun first project...I especially love the scallop hearts. You should see me at Michael's jonesing for a new cartridge. Somehow I can fill my cart with ribbon, paper, beads, glue, paint and who knows what-all. But I can't seem to fork out $80 or more for a new cartridge. Maybe it's because they don't really have the best selection yet. I really want a font that looks like an old storybook font. Most of the fonts they have so far are gimicky and goofy.

There is a little usb connection in the back and I'd love for them to make it so that I can design something snazzy on the computer and then transfer it to the machine. If they do it with embroidery machines, they should be able to do it with this paper cutting machine. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

I'm at the Cottage today. If you're in the area (Leesburg, VA) pop in and say hello. And, guess what! I'll make you a cuppa hot chocolate, espresso, cappucino, or earl grey. And I'll talk your ear off.

18 comments:

Cupcake said...

I love your V-day swap gift and of course I especially love the glittered hearts.
I'm with you on the diecut machines. I want the ones that will cut the fonts from my computer. Yep, that's what I want :-)
Have a great day!

Mama Urchin said...

They do make die cutters that connect to the computer. We have a craft robo and it's super fun.

Jen Kershner said...

It's just beautiful! I love the papers you used. What a treat for some lucky soul!

Anonymous said...

That is such a beautiful gift! I have a cricut and I only have 2 cartridges, cause they are just way too expensive. I just saw some new cutter out there - quickutz? and you can download from the internet.

Anonymous said...

Those are so beautiful! I'm going to check on the link and find more hearts. :)

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest heart garland I've ever laid eyes on! And you know, if I was in the neighborhood I'd pop in for cocoa in a heartbeat! xox

Anonymous said...

love your garland!--we're able to buy cricut products at our walmart for a lot less. maybe online from walmart? the cartridges are about $30 less. p.s. what is a craft robo?

Anonymous said...

Love your swap project, it's such a fab idea and *sweet! I'm not a crafter so my swap isn't half as pretty as yours but I enclosed (LOVE) , it's the thought that counts right? ..about the drink-Earl Grey please, but I'd like to keep my ear if that's okay with you :)

Junie Moon said...

What a marvelously stunning swap gift! Just gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Are you seriously in Leesburg, VA? How did I never find this out?! I live in Sterling.. where in Leesburg is The Cottage? I've been to Beekeeper's Cottage, but didn't that close? Wow I'm excited!

Anonymous said...

Amy, your garland is just as sweet and pretty as can be! I love it!

Gypsy Purple said...

Ooh, this is SUCH a beautiful one...I`m in love with it
Really and truly lovely

Chamara

Olugbemisola (Mrs.Pilkington) said...

wow, that is gorgeous! i'm usually a valentine's day grump, but that does make me smile.

Michelle M White said...

This is grest! I LOVE the scalloped heart! Maybe I need a Cricut!?!

Wendy Updegraff said...

Your banner is really beautiful- I can only imagine how excited the person who gets this in their swap will feel! Happy V-day

Anonymous said...

How cute that garland is! So sweet. Your swap partner will be thrilled!
One of these days I'll get myself up to Leesburg and say hello!
Happy weekend, Amy!

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

What a gorgeous garland! It is sure to make someone's day! :)

Barbara Jean said...

hearts and box are great!!!

barbara jean