Sunday, February 18, 2007

quiet sunday

I'm planted here in this chair, which I situated as close to the fireplace as possible. (Notice that I really do still have up the garland of the 9 ladies dancing, 10 lords a'leapin'!)

I'm reading a delightful book and, with each new chapter, I'm changing my sitting position. Sometimes I'm hanging my legs over one arm, sometimes tucking them under me. And then I'll try hanging my legs over the other arm.

But, oh! Do I ever love this book I'm reading!

It is "Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living" written by Le Gamin owner, Robert Arbor. He is so charming and I love his celebration of the details of everyday life. Whether it is in his description of his family's everyday breakfast habits, including the detail about drinking coffee from a bowl (which happens to be how he serves it at his NYC cafe), or his detailed recounting of a simple day at the market in France with his boys, you can feel his joie de vivre. I am inspired!

Rich is reclining on the sofa, legs propped up with a pillow, with two more propping up his head. He's happily enjoying Jack Canfield's "The Success Principles" and, on occasion, recounts a bit of it to me.

It's a happy, quiet day here.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...the simple pleasures are the best. Love your blog and your shop, sweet Amy!
Holly

ShabbyInTheCity said...

That book sounds like it was written for me. I'll have to hunt it down. That chair and that fire look like they were made for me too. I don't know what to do about that!

Gypsy Purple said...

What a lovely relaxing way to spend the day...I`m also having one of those...enjoy

Chamara

Junie Moon said...

The "Joie de Vivre" book is wonderful, I keep it by my bed. I am so glad you enjoy it as well.

Carol Bennett said...

Don't you just love a "lazy" day sometimes? I do! It refreshes me!Snuggle up by the fire with a good book and a nice cup of your fav hot drink!Yes! We all need those days from time to time!
Carol
Come visit me!
http://ourreddoor.blogspot.com

longnecklady said...

I'm relaxed just looking at that picture.

Thank you!

Sue

Claire said...

Fun! I love books like that! And that chair is pretty divine...

Anonymous said...

I love your white sofa and the garland-how do you keep it so clean? Beautiful moments in life, peaceful and happy, thanks for sharing -think I'll have to get myself that book.

Jeanne said...

Sounds just fabulous and thanks for the book recommendations.
Love Jeanne ^j^

I love your garland too.
Beautiful journal!

Haust said...

That looks so cozy! I'd love to be sitting in that chair! :)

AmeliaB said...

I am new to the blog (though I have long loved the shop). Your garland is just so cute. Aren't books wonderful?

Anonymous said...

Love the photo..looks like the perfect place to spend a Sunday.
Did you share your garland patterns?? I'd love to make some, I need a little whimsy in my life right now.

Lena said...

Thank you for sharing the book Amy and the cozy corner. I love your chair! I love books with details like these...I'm going to add it to my list right now!

amy rue said...

Another book that I love!

I think we share the same taste in books!

Have you read Alexandra Stoddard's books about home and life? They are perfect for hot cup of tea and comfy chair hours.

-amy rue