Wednesday, February 7, 2007

snowy morning

I awoke this morning at 5:30. No particular reason. I opened my eyes, looked at the clock, and decided that it would be better to get started with the day than to go back to sleep for just two hours, risking grogginess.

I'd forgotten about the snow.

I peered out in the still darkness of this brand new day. A blanket of white was all around with sparks of light winking here and there. There were no tire tracks yet through our neighborhood street. No footprints on the sidewalks. Just freshly fallen snow winking, sharing a secret with me.

Rich is up now, making his good morning sounds. Shower water tinkling. And soon stumbling to get dressed. Splashes in the sink as he shaves. The sharp click of the medicine cabinet. And maybe, if I'm lucky and if he's happy, a little morning song belted out for just me. I look up at the ceiling, knowing without seeing.

And so this morning, like the snow, started quiet and blank, new and empty. Cars are starting out through the street, crunching new paths. The sun fills this room just as my mind is filling with thoughts of things that must be done today. The stillness of the snow's secret a quiet sleepy memory.

7 comments:

Junie Moon said...

There is indeed a special magic to waking up on a day when all is covered with that snowy stillness. Not that I get that very often (only once in the time I've lived in Tucson and that was a couple of weeks ago--how odd but delicious). Enjoy your happy day--I hope Rich sang for you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cupcake said...

Amy,
What a wonderful thing to read this morning. Very poetic!

Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

That was very nice.

An Odd Duck said...

I really like how you captured the stillness and quiet in the tone of this post. Very nicely written.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, your writing is beautiful
(another hidden talent). I could never get up at that time in the morning, especially when it's cold and snowy outside. My blanket begs me to stay...

Gypsy Purple said...

Great great post....how blessed are we to be able to appreciate the magic of the normal moments that can bring such joy

Chamara