Wednesday, July 28, 2010

alfredo's turtle

Ever since I finished those stitched pieces from Mary Engelbreit's new stitching book, I've been working on this sweet turtle stitching from Charlotte. I doubled the pattern and am making it into a pillow for Alfredo. I added some flowers all around and I'm so happy with how it's looking...I'm hoping to finish it up soon and I'll show you.

It's so much fun to make things for Alfredo...he admires what I'm working on often saying lovely things like "This is the most beautiful thing in the whole wide world!" Just what I want to hear when I'm making something. He's the perfect little patron.

I got a couple questions about my living room...The beautiful house pillows are by my friend Catherine of Red Shoes. I don't think she does special orders but if you beg and plead, I bet she'll make some to put in her shop.

And the rug? You're not going to believe this but it's from the MaryKate and Ashley collection at Target. See here. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available any longer.

We're enjoying lazy summer days, spending it mostly inside working on projects. And this week we started "School"...every morning we work on a new letter of the alphabet and other exercises. I decided not to enroll him in preschool this fall. I kept debating about it...it seemed like everyone I talked to said it was a must. But after we left VBS in hysterics last week, him, not me, I decided to listen to my intuition. We're going to do the academic parts at home, at our own pace, and we'll do other things to help him socially, like perhaps a playgroup. And he's thriving at The Little Gym so in the fall I'll put him in two classes a week. And we'll look at it all again come January.

16 comments:

Waterfall said...

I wish I could go to school with Alfredo! :-) I think school with you would be more educational, not to mention more fun, than actual preschool. Lucky kid!

jknapp00 said...

I think you are wise to listen to your instincts - that's why God gave us those instincts! My children stayed home with me until kindergarten and did just fine.

GardenOfDaisies said...

The turtle is adorable!! I'm heading over to visit Charlotte right now!

Seitvonzu said...

preschool before 4 used to be totally unheard of. one year before kindy should be more than enough. (my mother reminds me of this all the time)

we have a weekly playgroup and it's more than enough "other kid" time for us when you factor in other meet ups with friends that are more random. at little gym alfredo has a "teacher" right? that's really helpful too. i worry that lucy will have trouble listening to adults, but i find she actually does BETTER listening to other adults that aren't mommy & daddy!

i've been going back and forth about "school" or more structured activities...but i think *i'm* not ready yet. i think kids thrive doing most things --structured or not-- if their primary teacher (the parents) are engaged. art projects, cooking, helping with household tasks, playing, reading etc-- it's all school all the time for these littles isn't it? :) your plansounds great to me!

Honey Lamb and I said...

Your turtle turned out great!! I am going to start working on mine while we travel to Colorado tomorrow! I love yours! ~Shelley O.

Suz said...

Amy,
Former school psychologist here says your intuition is great! As an only child, give him time with other kids, in whatever way is comfortable to him. I am sure you are doing that. He doesn't need the academics at preschool. How much better can things get than having your own loving tutor?

Love that turtle, Amy. Just love it.

Hugs,
Suz

debi said...

I LOVE your livingroom! It's so fun and colorful...what a beautiful place to live.

Kellie said...

Totally agree with all the posters about preschool... My daughter (now 8) was an only child for 7 years until my twins came along. She used to do Kindermusik, and at age 3, when all the other kids when to preK like it was mandatory or something, I kept her in Kindermusik (which she loved) for one hour per week along while I waited outside the room. She also went to a playgroup with me as well. At home, I read to her, taught her her ABCs, etc. etc. and at 4 years old, sent her to an old-fashioned, loving preK 3 mornings a week for 3 hours just to get used to listening to an adult other than me. She's smart, thrived, and never was behind in school. Trust your instincts. Society is crazy in thinking we need to push kids into school so young and for so long. If you have the luxury of keeping him home, do it! You'll never regret these years with him.

melekler korusun final said...

thank you

Dori Patrick said...

Love that picture of your living room....and your turtle pillow is TOO CUTE! Thanks for sharing! Your little man is adorable....congrats on following your instincts and doing what's right for your family.

J. Paige said...

Good for you!!! I ignored the masses and kept my son home with me until kindergarten. I didn't even teach him the alphabet- but when they tested him for school he was in the top 5% of all kindergarten aged children! I'm becoming a fan of the "school can wait" philosophy.

melissa said...

Amy,

I LOVE your interpretation of the turtle pattern! The pillow is absolutely adorable.

melissa

carmel said...

beautiful!!!!!

jackie said...

I love all the colors you have used in your room!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Love your living room! I have a bright rug similar to yours that I got from PB Kids! I did not enroll my daughter in preschool either, but I did put her in dance class so she could used to following directions, working with others, etc. You have to go with what feels right for your child. Good luck and I hope your schooling goes well!

. said...

Just wanted to stop by and let you know I'm a new follower
& I am loving this pillow, just had too reblog:D



Feel free to stop by and visit, we've finally got everything up and running.
thepepperandherpups.blogspot.com