Thursday, August 9, 2007

pretty little apricots

I went to the grocery store today. I meant to just go quickly, get a bite of lunch, and then shop for something for dinner tonight and tomorrow. Just a quick trip. It should've been.

Two hours later, I found myself with just a handful of sweet things, like these apricots, and still wandering aimlessly down the aisles.

First I had lunch at the cheese counter (a wonderful salad with gorgonzola cheese and walnuts and pears and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette). And while I ate I had a chat with my favorite cheese guy. We talked mostly about why they'd taken the cheese flight off the menu. We talked too about pasteurization and how we wished we could get younger unpasteurized cheeses here in the States.

After lunch, I grabbed a cart and started shopping. And then I saw these sweet apricots. Tell me, have you ever seen such a sweet fruit? I have to admit I bought them mainly just to show you. Silly, I know. But I mean, just look at them! They look like itty bitty hineys.

I continued, dreamlike, through the aisles, picking up this jar, admiring that label, talking to the meat guy about why he thinks I should get a cast iron pan. So you can plainly see how two hours later I was still there. Maybe I needed that little bit of a vacation smack dab in the middle of my day.

I know I needed these apricots. Dinner tonight? Parmesan crusted chicken with a side of pasta and a light tomato sauce and garlic bread. Tomorrow we'll have a simple Asian-inspired salad.

10 comments:

beki said...

I wish I could shop like that, it sounds like a lovely time :)

Francie Horton said...

"They look like itty bitty hineys."

my gosh, you crack me up. this was exactly the giggle i needed right now. :D

Anonymous said...

I used to have a painting teacher who did these beautiful landscapes and still lifes, just dark and really rich and sensual looking. But what always tickled me was she'd have these naughty little bits of fruit, a plum, an apricot, a peach, and she always painted them like they were little tushes. I think for all of her arty fartyness, she had a very silly sense of humor.

Anne said...

I've giggled until I have tears running down my face. Maybe I'll have to print out the picture of the hiney and glance at it when I need another good giggle.

Oh, I can't even catch my breath from laughing. You are such a cute silly girl.

Anonymous said...

"little hiney's"??? you crack me up! I guess I never thought about it like that! : ) But see, I would have bought them for that blue container they came in...such a pretty color. Thanks for the laugh!

Valita said...

Now I can't wait until the apricot tree I planted this spring in my backyard starts bearing fruit hopefully next year.

Cheshire Kat said...

As lovely as the fruit is, I am looking at the little container. That blue is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

lol! LOVE your blog!

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a grocery around here where I would actually feel comfortable having a conversation with the meat guy. And a cheese counter? ::swoons::

And thanks for the Friday Morning Hineys!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Yes, yes thank-you thank-you it is a word I haven't heard in soooo long and it made me laugh soooo much. You are soooo sweet and funny (( ))