Monday, December 18, 2006

another dash of christmas



One of my very favorite Christmas decorations is this garland. I love it so much that I usually keep it up well into Spring. It is, in fact, nine ladies dancing and ten lords a'leapin but I don't think it is too Christmas-y, do you?

I made it quite a few years ago following directions from Martha Stewart's Holiday book. It's the one that had the twelve days of Christmas as its theme. I'll try to find it so I can tell you which volume. I think it also appeared in her magazine the year before.

The silhouette is actually created from a photo of Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Doesn't that make you love it more? I made the dresses and suits out of tissue paper, wrapping paper, vintage wallpaper, and scrapbook paper.

I love too the simple garland above the ladies and lords. I add to it all the time. In fact, I keep it up year 'round...changing it seasonally.

And just in case you'd like a visual for my little life here, I spend a lot of my time curled up in my floral chair right there by the fireplace, tapping away on my keyboard, sending my thoughts and dreams and wishes through cyberspace to you. Just to my right is Rich stretched out on the sofa, wishing that I would join him there.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, your words are so sweet. I saw a slightly worn and faded big floral armchair in Chicago last week. I imagined it was just like yours! The owner said she would keep it forever, it was that comforting and happy.

Don't you just love that Ginger Rogers said, "I don't know what all the fuss is about. I do everything Fred does, but backwards and in high heels."?

Anonymous said...

Those garlands are so whimsical and full of Christmas cheer. Your house is amazing, it's a grotto of sort and a Chistmas wonderland! Have a fantastic holiday.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your fireplace decor & cozy chair! I have been enjoying your blog for many months now and never fail to be "inspired." Thanks for your wonderful blog. I thought you might like to know that I have provided a link to your blog in my very new and amateur blog at sandypoint-laurie@blogspot.com
I tell all my friends and family about your wonderful spot on the web. Merry Christmas! Laurie

Anonymous said...

ohohoh! Love it! Can't imagine I missed it in the Martha mag. Hope you can find the source!! Just too much fun!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful life :-)

Elisabeth

Junie Moon said...

The garlands are glorious--I completely love the idea that they are silhouettes of Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire--how perfect!

Anonymous said...

I would most definitely keep it up a bit longer! Your mantle looks just stunning.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Stunning. Martha should come to you for inspiration

Anonymous said...

Oh, December 1999, I just pulled it out and read it over the weekend. I have a small Martha collection building (the first step is admitting it, right?). ALthough, your site is so inspiring I may have to make a "InspireCo" binder with your lovely images.

Dawn said...

You never disappoint me...with your whimsical posts! Lovely, as usual, Amy.
:o)

Anonymous said...

I thought I recognized those cutouts from a Martha book! They are in the book "Classic Crafts and Recipes inspired by the Songs of Christmas'. (This book is the one with the sheet music to classic songs in it.)I have a paperback version, and the cutouts are on page 106/107 - but your photo is MUCH prettier, Amy!

Whilst perusing that book, check out pages 53/54 and the section that follows...it looks like a veritable Amy & Alicia Wonderland!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful mantel! I love it!
I quickly searched for my Martha Stewart magazine and found this project. I can see this garland all in Easter colors too! Fred Astair and Judy Garland ;) in the musical EASTER PARADE! She could even don an Easter bonnet!
Thanks again for all the daily inspiration!
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful garland - a lovely set up with that gorgeous floral armchair...

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I would have a hard time EVER taking it down.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that garland is just too much for words, Amy! I can see it fitting any season with a little forethought in just the right colours or paper design. Gorgeous, simply too much!