Friday, May 21, 2010

revisiting

Yesterday I went to the memorial service for my favorite professor. We got there a little early so I took Alfredo on a little tour of my old campus. It's such a beautiful college and being there brought a flood of memories.

For a long time I felt that part of my life was a finished chapter and I haven't spent a lot of time revisiting it. For three of my four years there I dated the same guy. It didn't work out and ended pretty badly. Any memory of my college years was tied to the ugliness of that relationship's bad ending. Somehow yesterday I realized that I needed to let go of all of that and just remember what a really wonderful experience being that young, free, and constantly challenged and inspired was. Maybe it's just growing up a bit or maybe it's having this terrific shift in my life's focus. But what a good feeling it is to really move on.

The service was really wonderful. It was the perfect way to honor him and I'm so glad that I went. Though it made me see the importance of telling people who matter in our life, who made a difference in who we are, just how much we love them for it. I wish I'd told Dr. Garrison.

4 comments:

Piper said...

you sweet thing. The beautiful part is: he knows. love to you.

Anonymous said...

What a great story, Amy. Good for you for going and changing your memories a bit. I need to do that more, myself!

Teresa McFayden

Jill said...

Wow. I love your new perspective on the past. You just tought me a little life lesson there, my friend. Thank you.
Hugs,
Jill

Jane said...

It's so good that you got to attend the memorial service & find some good memories! From your previous post about Dr. Garrison, I'd say he probably knew that he was loved and appreciated.
Best,
Jane - Jacksonville