Wednesday, May 26, 2010

the love dare

Rich and I watched the movie "Fireproof" last weekend. It was not a good movie in many ways*...the acting was obvious, the directing not good. And it wasn't enough that it starred my long ago heart-throb Kirk Cameron. Many times I felt like I was watching a film in health class...you know what I mean.

But the message was beautiful.

Maybe I will suggest skipping the movie altogether and just buying either this book or this one. I bought two copies of "day by day", one each for Rich and me, and I'm really so excited about this.

We have a strong marriage but after 13 years it's easy to take one another for granted, right? I think this challenge will grow our commitment and love for one another and strengthen our faith in God.

What do you say, do you want to give it a try? I dare you!

*I didn't realize when I wrote this that the actors, directors, etc. were all amateurs. Given this, my criticism is a bit harsh. Thanks Sherri for filling me in on the details!

8 comments:

jillyellow said...

This sounds like a great challange...We could use it...but like you said all couples could! To have a great marriage takes a lot of hard work and compromise! I will see if I can find the book and let you know if we do it! Thanks for the tip....

XO Jill

Waterfall said...

You never told me you had it bad for Kirk Cameron!

Dan and I have been looking for something like this that we can work through together. Thanks for the recommendation!

Megan said...

I agree that the movie felt a little contrived. But since I work with a lot of men - I think the visualization of how it worked for another couple is helpful to them. And the step by step instructions appeals to the "fixit" men mentality. its a great resource for all couples.

Anonymous said...

I thought everyone knew that this movie was put together by a church in Georgia. When Kirk Cameron heard about it, he went and wanted to be apart of the project. He did not get paid for this and all the actors and actresses are the members of the church that put this together.

The lady at the VERY end that Kirk kisses is actually his real wife, because he refuses to kiss anyone but his wife.


I think this church membership did a wonderful job putting this movie together.

Blessings,
Sherri

Anonymous said...

There is also a Love Dare discussion group if anyone is interested let me know and I will get you the website.

Molly said...

I liked the movie! You should also check out Fly Wheel, Second Chance and Faith Like Potatoes, very very good!! I have watched these over and over, they are just that good! I have never done the Love Dare couples study guide, my dad and step mom did it together with their church and it sounded like a lot of fun and getting back to doing sweet things for your wife or husband. Hope you have fun in study!!
~Molly P
P.S please let me know when the stitch along is available, Thanks!!

emily said...

my hubby and I watched this movie in January and while it isn't the best acting in the world, it really hit us hard, we've since been working through the dare book, good stuff

Baa-Me Kniits said...

looks like a good challenge, will have to keep my eye open for the book :-)