Friday, May 7, 2010

feeling reflective

Here's a picture of Alfredo from about 2 years ago, just a couple of months after we first met him. I remember that day so clearly. And I remember that little jacket with a tiny lion on the pocket. He would point to it and roar. And he sniffed those daffodils with his nose all scrunched up so funny. And just look at that bit of dribble coming down his chin. Is it any wonder that we fell in love with him?


We're heading to California next week for a visit with Alfredo's family. Everyone is really excited. Especially Omar. He's doing really well here and he's happy. But I think he's homesick too. I worry about him not having any friends here. A trip back home will do him a lot of good.

Alfredo is a little worried about the trip, asking directly if he's coming back. It breaks my heart to think of how terrifying an airplane ride is to this little guy. And I ache whenever my mind wanders to that night when I left him. The sound of his screams are etched into my memory...just the thought of them makes my throat swell so much that I can hardly swallow.

And when I think back to how sad I was then without even a hope of being where we are now. I shake my head in disbelief.

A year ago this week, I went to California with my brother and two sisters to bring Alfredo home with us. Six months later, when it was time for him to go back to live with his father, instead his father came here to live. Isn't it an amazing story?

18 comments:

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Hi Amy, I remember I started reading your blog (and started blogging) all about this same time. I was amazed at your story...amazed at the circumstances...and still amazed how you have navigated through rough waters. Sometimes the words don't even express, I'm sure, what you have really gone through. But I love to hear your thoughts...and know that good things have come, inspite of going through the rough waters, good things have indeed come!
Blessings to your precious family.
Debbie

Jane said...

I think I started reading your blog about the time you had to take him back too. Today's post just reminds me that the children we are meant to have find their way to us via God's hand. I often find your blog a source of encouragement for just that reason.

Robin said...

oh Amy I remember how gut wrenching it all was...and now....sigh......everyone is happy together! Happy Mothers day Amy!

Whosyergurl said...

Amy, I've been along with you for the entire ride. What a blessing Alfredo is to you and Rich and what a blessing the two of you are to him!
Happy Mother's Day!
xo, Cheryl

Jujube said...

Happy Mother's Day "Mutterherz".

Lisa Super said...

Amy,

Let me know when you'll be in CA. I am teaching at Inspired and will be gone from Wed-Sat but I'd love to make the drive and meet you if you're still in town.

LMK!

Lisa

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Happy Mothers day to you, I can feel your pain and your joy and thank you for sharing. You are truly an angel and an inspiration to us all. Your courage and faith humble me. Blessings to you and yours xx

Kathy said...

I do remember your posting about all of this. Isn't life amazing? Truly, we have no idea what will happen tomorrow. I've learned that well over the last few years. Have a good trip and bring that little "bird" back safe and sound.

Kathy

Kateyed said...

Amy,
I am so glad to read this. I am a worrier...and I had been worried about you and Alfredo all day. Such a useless emotion! Guess I need to leave it all in God's hands.
Sending you all much love on Mother's Day!
Suz

Sandy, Sisters of Season said...

Amy, What a wonderful journey this has been for you . . this is very special . . God has used you for something very unique. Alfredo looks adorable in the pic . . total cutie!
Blessings and Have a Happy Mothers Day! Sandy :O)

maryann said...

yes, it *is* an amazing story! praise the Lord that it worked out so miraculously!! happy mother's day, Amy!!

Susan said...

Thank you for your constant inspiration. My husband and I are just starting the process to Foster to Adopt. I'm scared but have faith that it will all work out in the end. Your stories make me believe that there can be a happy ending.
Happy Mother's Day!

Judy said...

One of the most amazing stories I have ever heard.

Happy Mother's Day!

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Oh Amy~ what a story. I remember when I found your blog I had to stay up one night to read everything. It was like a book you cant put down. I laughed and I cried. I'm so glad there are many more chapters for you to write. You are an amazing woman and mother. I'm looking forward to your happily ever after. Thank you for sharing your story.
p.s. Love your wedding picture, you are just lovely!

mary engelbreit said...

Amy, you and Rich have a wonderful story and you're very generous to share it. And Alfredo is lucky to have you guys AND Omar, who completely changed his life for his little boy. Alfredo will grow up knowing so many people love him... what could be better??!
Mary

Maija said...

It's so beautiful!! Come to my blog and be my friend for a giveaway!

cindie said...

Amy...what a blessing it is to always read your posts. You may not have given birth to Alfredo but you have certainly poured your love into his life. What a blessing for Alfredo and for Omar to have you and your husband in their lives. I do believe it is God ordained and pray that He will continue to bless all of you as you travel together on this journey.

PS: I am on square 40 of my 60 squares project...have it posted on FB...

Bev said...

Amy...it's such a beautiful story...how wonderful it is for the heart whenever a family is born :)

Blessings to you all :)