Monday, June 27, 2011

summer vacation


We just got back from the best vacation ever at a mountain lake in Maryland (Deep Creek Lake)


I love this picture of our niece Kylie at Muddy Falls. Doesn't she look like a fairy?


One afternoon we went on a canoe ride. So much fun! Although I was so worried about it tipping and all of us falling out that I could hardly relax to enjoy it.


These two sure had a good time. (Isn't that face adorable?)


Alfredo talks ALL THE TIME. Mostly these days he's talking about being a dinosaur super hero and learning Kung Fu so that he can be a Kung Fu warrior. I love this picture of Alfredo talking Rich's ear off.


The whole family went out on a pontoon boat one afternoon and we had a great time tubing. Just look at my daredevil husband.


This is how I spent most of the boat ride. Alfredo started looking super sleepy as we pulled out and, before I knew it, the waves rocked him gently to sleep. I love holding him when he sleeps...it's the closest we come these days to him being a baby.

I have to tell you a story about my brush with the law because it's a story I know you'll "get". When we were at the falls surrounded by towering 300 year old hemlocks and a blanket of moss covering everything I was so inspired to make a terrarium. I confess that I knew it was wrong to take elements from a state park. I just thought I would take a tiny bit of moss and maybe one little fern. For a terrarium, you know? I'm not a rule breaker usually but the temptation to make a sweet little microcosm was overwhelming. And if I'm going to break a law, it would probably be for a craft.

So picture me guiltily crouched over an expanse of beautiful green moss, carefully but quickly extracting about 4 square inches of the miles of moss all around, when a shadow appears over me. You guessed it...a park ranger! "Excuse me, ma'am, but what you are doing there is against the law. I'm going to have to ask you to put that back where you found it and I'm going to have to watch you do it." Snap!

See what happens when I even try to break the law?

(and now I will brace myself for a lecture or two about the importance of leaving nature for everyone to enjoy...but I swear, it was a piece of moss 2 inches by 2 inches!)

10 comments:

Whosyergurl said...

Looks like a wonderful time. Amy....haven't you ever heard the saying "take nothing but photographs?" *giggle*
Good thing he didn't throw you in the pokey.
xo, Cheryl

Jane said...

I so know that temptation. I once *had* to touch a painting in the Guggenheim in NYC. Sure enough the guard was on me like white on rice. It was worth it though. That painting looked so thick and wet, but really it was dry.

Love the sleeping babe picture!

Susan said...

Ooh, haven't we all been there! Went to a "Modern by Design" exhibit at the High Museum last week and had to LOCK my hands behind my back to keep from touching! It was the most open exhibit I've ever seen-except for pictures of course-and so VERY touchable!

tamdoll said...

I don't think I've ever commented before, but when I read that you were at Deep Creek Lake, I couldn't resist. I've had great vacations there and it's a fantastic place. I even once made a "Deep Creek" mermaid doll!

Can't believe a park ranger was right there when you were foraging! Well, I guess you could always do a terrarium in memory of the event when the vacation is oer.

Kai's mom said...

The same thing happens to me (Miss Goody Two Shoes) the one time I do anything "bad"! (Alfredo looks so sweet sleeping in your arms--he's getting to be such a big boy!)

Anonymous said...

Six billion people in the world. Hmm . . . if everyone thought they were entitled to only 2 by 2 inches. Not a lecture but entiltement is nothing to be proud of. You don't need to post this.

martha brown said...

That is so funny about you getting "caught". Thanks for sharing. Alfredo is SO CUTE! I miss you Amy!

Anonymous said...

I love your photography! How do you give it that retro look, Amy? Please, do tell.

Jennifer said...

Hearing about all the lovely, silly, exuberant boy-talk you're enjoying these days made me want to share this:
Sometimes, as a parent, it can be hard when your child talks non-stop -- especially when he's talking about his own little imaginary world in his head and perhaps even more when you're tired or trying to think about the eleventy-zillion really things you really do need to think about and could use just a tiny bit of quiet in which to think. But, as the mother of a very talkative little boy who has grown up to be a 13-year-old young man, I can share that the value of having an open, attentive ear to all that talking is that while other moms with young teens complain that their sons never tell them anything, you may find you still have someone who's delighted to talk with you because he knows you always listen.... (Of course I know you ARE listening because you are such a wonderful mom, but just to give you a little support in acknowledging that while it may not always be easy, it is always worth it!)

Jennifer said...

And I'm sorry, I do have to leave a follow-up to the rather stern comment you received: if only everyone in the world left as much kindness in her wake, each day, as you do, the world would be a much better place. A wonderland, in fact. I appreciated your sharing your story because it was honest and real and to be honest and real in return we all have to admit that, one way or another, we've been in those boots ourselves.