Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy Birthday, Alfredo!

 
Happy birthday, my sweet boy! I love you so much.
 
Alfredo's birthday always reminds me of when we first met him a week before his first birthday and how he instantly charmed us. The very first time his big beautiful eyes met ours, we became a family.
 
I remember that first week...how I'd make a little nest for him of pillows and blankets and we'd spend those days reading books, playing games and watching shows. If I left his side, even just to go to the bathroom, he cried and cried. I remember him looking at me square in the eyes, holding my face with his dear little chubby hands. We fell in love instantly.
 
Rich and he, from the very first night, found that they shared a crazy sense of humor. They played this funny game where Alfredo would play with this toy...closing all the little doors that flipped up...and Rich would open them back up. Alfredo would shake his head "no" like crazy and then laugh and laugh. They did it over and over. That's how they fell in love that first night.
 

 
This picture was taken on his first birthday, just about a week after his arrival. This picture breaks my heart. I imagine what this little baby had witnessed, what he'd already been through in his short life. And there's a sadness in his eyes that just gets me. That look haunts me.
 
But here we are, 5 years later...a family. That sadness and those unhappy things are washed away by all the love we have together.
 
Happy, happy birthday, Alfredo!
 
 


11 comments:

Jane said...

Happy Birthday, Alfredo! So happy you are surrounded by love!

Kris and Evie said...

Happy birthday to Alfredo! I love that story.

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are right about those eyes, but look at them now!

Kim

Debby said...

Iknow exactly about the look. But it is gone now and he is full of joy and al because of his mommy and daddy and his forever family.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Alfredo! Such a beautiful story...

Lucy said...

Love...Love...Love those BRIGHT eyes of today!! :)

senecamom said...

Pure joy- a wonderful family and loving story! Thank you for sharing- and cool dinosaurs Alfredo!

Judy said...

Oh, what a difference you two have made in his life. And he in yours!
Just look what love can do!

vivian said...

He's beautiful Amy. You are all blessed!
happy birthday to your sweet boy!
xoxo
vivian

Angela said...

Happy birthday Alfredo! May your heart be full of joy and love always. You're a blessed little boy! Hugs! P.S. I love your dino collection. Cool!

Anastasia said...

such a sweet post - happy birthday to your darling boy!!!