Tuesday, August 28, 2012

let's do lunch

Alfredo had such a wonderful day yesterday. School let out early, at noon and when I picked him up he was grinning ear to ear. The teacher gave each student a bagful of presents and he was so excited to show me.
 
And he said the most adorable thing "My teacher is soooo nice. She didn't raise her voice even once all day. She didn't yell or anything. And if a classmate did something bad she just said 'I don't like that'. And she smiles all the time when she talks." Makes me feel so good to hear that.
 
 
I wanted to send him off today with a bit of love from home...so I packed him a special lunch and snacks (morning and afternoon). I was inspired by all the super beautiful bento box lunches I saw here and used a bunch of ideas from her. I especially love the little animal picks...which I think might be just the trick to get him to eat his fresh fruit and veggies. I used Japanese vegetable cutters to cut the cucumbers into flower shapes. And how much fun is a heart-shaped sandwich?
Lunch: Ham, turkey, cheese sandwich, heart-shaped; cucumber bites cut into flowers; string cheese cut into circles
Snack 1: Nectarines with cute animal picks and Angry Bird Graham Crackers
Snack 2: Oatmeal squares and grapes
 

And, speaking of food, I'm on a crazy* diet. I've never been on one before and it's been incredibly hard. I just completed the induction period (3 weeks) and have already lost 9 pounds. What's more, I'm bursting with energy, sleeping super well, and feeling great. It's called the Rosedale Diet. Rich and I both went on it for health reasons more than weight loss. It promises to help your body heal itself and to work better. So far, so good. But boy would I love a potato chip. And a banana split.

*By crazy, I just mean that it's restrictive, which is crazy for me. Then again, crazy for me is not eating a cupcake whenever I want one.

8 comments:

Jane said...

Such lovely snacks and lunch - love those little animal picks! Happy to hear about Alfredo's sweet teacher too! Good luck with the new diet/lifestyle!

Debby said...

You are such a good Mom. I will have to look that diet up. So glad your little guy had such a good day. I bet his teacher would love to hear what he said about her.

Tina said...

Heck---- I want to eat MY LUNCH in such a darling bento box!!! You are simply the best Amy!

Kathy said...

Wonderful lunch!

suesueb said...

Adorable lunch! I love the Bento box lunches too. So creative. We've never had to send lunch to school when my kids were little but I imagine that day after day gets hard to do. Such a sweet surprise for Alfredo, lucky boy!

Merci-Notes said...

How fun Amy! What a great and thoughtful Mom :)
Love comes to mind :)

With Kindness,
Mary

Creations From The Soul said...

ok I'm a new mom and i was teary eyed! He will feel so loved and good for you that you have such a loving heart! xoxo Michele

Creations From The Soul said...

ok I'm a new mom and i was teary eyed! He will feel so loved and good for you that you have such a loving heart! xoxo Michele