Thursday, June 15, 2006
countdown to camp wilderness
In just under a month I am going camping. I know what you're thinking. I'm not the camping type. You're right. But I married into a family full of the camping type so I'm bound once a year (at the least) to this excursion.
We are driving 13 hours, all the way to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Isn't that a terribly long way to go just to sleep on the ground under a thin layer of vinyl? I say yes. However, most of Rich's family lives in Michigan, including and especially his grandmother.
We missed the last two years of camping and I missed the year before that so it's been a very long time. Believe it or not, there's a part of me that's excited about this trip, albeit tiny.
I won't bother mentioning the things that I'm not looking forward to. They are too numerous and obvious. But here are some things to make me excited about it.
1. Swarms of happy children all around.
2. Waking up to coffee perculated over a morning fire.*
3. Waking up to the smell of bacon (and knowing it is for me).*
4. The gourmet camping kitchen we've yet to use.
5. Lazy days filled with nothing in particular.
6. Many wonderful stops along the 13-hour way to and fro.
7. We're finally (!) getting a bike rack so I can take my sweet bicycle.
8. New tent with 4 "rooms" that we can supposedly stand up straight in.
9. Packing pretty linens and plates and cups, especially fun foods and snacks.
10. Fresh new pajamas.
*Perhaps I am dreaming too much. I will probably have to wake up to make these things. But a girl can dream.